Tuesday 16 August 2016

Picasso on the Wirral

It's a delight to have a linocut exhibition of Picasso's work locally. On at the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Port Sunlight Village, until 8 January 2017, it's a small exhibition of prints from the British Museum. It's well worth a visit even though the exhibition focuses on just 3 works.

I'm going to look at 2 in this blog. The first that really fascinated me was a portrait, called 'Jacqueline Reading' - 2 plates, both black, but the first providing tone on a lino plate, something I hadn't seen before. The image builds to create a rare and striking effect. I'll be trying to replicate the technique, which Picasso created with a wire brush, I believe.

'Jacqueline Reading' by Picasso - Plate 1 proof

'Jacqueline Reading' by Picasso - Plate 2 proof
 
'Jacqueline Reading' by Picasso - the final work
 
The second work is a well known still life, called 'Still Life Under the Light'. The British Museum has acquired not just the final work, which is a reduction linocut, but also all the stages of its development, which are on show - and every individual plate is proofed and on show too. Such a rare treat for printmakers! Sometimes it's hard to work out how an artist has created a finished effect with linocuts, but here you have a master class on reduction linocut printmaking - on full display. I found it mesmerising! I've shown below the build to the full work.
 
Colour 1
 
 Colour 2
 
Colour 3
 
Final 4 colour work
 
For the record, below is the single plate, as proofed at each stage. The first colour is above. The rest follow:
 
Red stage proof
 
Green stage proof
 
Black stage proof
 
What a delight - I'm planning to visit again. It's not a big exhibition, but it's great. I hope you get to visit in person. If not, I hope this blog post will be of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment