Friday 3 August 2018

Printmaking Course in Wrexham

One of the best things I've done this year was the new Level 3 Printmaking course at the Regional Print Centre at Coleg Cambria's Wrexham campus. It lasted a far too brief 12 weeks!

During the course we covered a wide range of printmaking techniques: screenprint, drypoint, etching, linocut before focussing on our chosen area to develop work to a final stage for submission. Having completed the year-long original part-time Hot Bed Press Complete Printmaker course, I was already familiar with the techniques, but my main aim was to bring a new rigour and more structured approach to my creative processes.

I couldn't resist lino as my focus area and chose to explore the work of the Grosvenor School printmakers and the wider use of printmaking in transport marketing in the 1930's. This was fuelled by my love of those old railway and underground posters, as well as a distant family link to one of the designers of these - Margaret Calkin James. My grandmother was a Calkin, and a cousin to Margaret.

'Sale Water Park' - my final course work

The programme involved research around my chosen topic area, which included a trip to the London Transport Museum to see their 'Poster Girls' exhibition, as well as an exploration of other printmakers' work and visits to galleries in Liverpool to appreciate contemporary art and a wider context.

I decided to log my journey on this assessed programme with a learning journal online as a blog. You can take a look too, by following this link. If you're thinking of taking a Level 2 or Level 3 course, it's well worth looking at these new UAL validated programmes. The facilities are great at the Regional Print Centre in Wrexham and I really enjoyed the tuition and support. It's well organised and my only criticism is that it didn't go on for longer!

To see more of my work, please check out my website: www.carolynmurphy.co.uk where you will also find an online Shop with currently available work. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment