Wednesday 30 September 2020

'That Window' at Towneley Hall

Printmakers from Alan Birch's Prospect Studio workshops were asked to create new work inspired by Towneley Hall in Burnley an exhibition called 'Impressions: A Printmaking Response to Towneley'.

The exhibition was due to open in April 2020, however the opening was delayed, like so many things in 2020, owing to the coronavirus pandemic.

The journey began for me in January 2020, when I visited Towneley Hall for the first time. It's set in stunning parklands and, even on a bitterly cold January day, the gardens were busy with local families out for a stroll. This window, in particular, caused much amusement with local children - and caught my interest as a result.

Towneley Hall in Burnley

The window - from inside


The window from outside at Towneley

Back at Prospect Studio, I worked up the image into a 2 plate linocut, which after a number of trials, I decided to print in gold and green.




This became my 'cheeky' submission to the 'Impressions' exhibition. 

'That Window' an original linocut by Carolyn Murphy

I visited the exhibition in September 2020 and loved the quality and quirkiness of the work from all the Prospect Printmakers who took part. I had the chance to view the exhibition in the next gallery, which included local watercolours by Turner. It was a fantastic day out, between phases of Covid-19 lockdown - and fantastic to see the exhibition and Hall so well supported by the whole community.

To learn more about my work, please check out my website www.carolynmurphy.co.uk where you'll find my gallery, online shop and links to my social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment