Thursday 31 December 2020

Creating my new Panopticon series

Some projects are longer in the making than you expect. The Panopticon series certainly took some time in development.

I first visited Halo above Haslingden in March 2018 on a bitterly cold day. I'd planned to sketch - but it was way too cold for that, so I took lots of photos from all sorts of angles, exploring the structure for inspiration, preparing to submit a work to the Prospect Printmakers' Pennine-themed exhibition, which opened at the Whitaker Gallery in late April.

Halo


The original Halo edition was only five, however as the linocut was created from three plates, it gave me the opportunity to explore colour ways. I editioned the same plates in new colours for the Hot Bed Press 20:20 Print Exchange in 2018. 

A year later I visited the other panopticons - the Singing Ringing Tree, above Burnley, the Atom at Wycoller, and the final one, now closed, in Blackburn's Corporation Park.

Singing Ringing Tree


Atom


I designed the series to work together, on the same paper, with the same colour combinations, to exploit the drama of the landscapes and explore the potential of composition and tones in these linocuts. Two designs are multi-plate: Halo and Singing Ringing Tree, whilst Atom is a reduction.

Below are the images showing the lino plates themselves, stages of the work and the build-up of the layers.

3 of the 4 plates of the Singing Ringing Tree


Printing Singing Ringing Tree layer 1 



Printing Singing Ringing Tree layer 2

Singing Ringing Tree - building up the image



Stages of the Atom



2 layers of the Atom 

In reduction linocut the plate is destroyed


Printing the penultimate colour of Aton



The Atom emerges 

Printing the final reduction layer

The finished edition by Carolyn Murphy



To learn more about my work, please check out my website www.carolynmurphy.co.uk where you'll find my gallery, online shop and links to my social media.






No comments:

Post a Comment