Sunday 18 August 2019

Cutting Edge Linocuts

It's a rare treat to see so many Grosvenor School prints in one place, so I visited Dulwich Picture Gallery in London to see 'Cutting Edge - Modernist British Printmaking' exhibition this month. The Grosvenor School of Modern Art was a private art school in London founded in 1925. 

I am a big fan of the Grosvenor School printmakers and I was not disappointed! The exhibition was large and I bought the book, to take away and study more at my leisure.


Claude Flight taught at the Grosvenor School and he pioneered, popularised and promoted linocut printmaking, bringing affordable art to the masses and showed the versatility of this 'new' linoleum material. Students included Sybil Andrews, Cyril Power, Lill Tschudi and Ethel Spowers. 

'Speed', linocut by Claude Flight 

Here are just a few more images to act as a reminder for me - and to share with you. They show the wonderful movement, excitement and vibrant colours, typical of these modern printmakers. 

'The Merry-Go-Round', linocut by Cyril Power

'Concert Hall', linocut by Sybil Andrews

'The Eight', linocut by Cyril Power

'In Full Cry', linocut by Sybil Andrews

'Wet Afternoon', linocut by Ethel Spowers

It was an inspiring visit to a lovely gallery. I could have stayed for several weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment